Language Objective: I will create rough drafts of stories, photos and graphics.
1. Make sure your story idea for this week is cleared with your editors and Ms. Floch and on the Journalism Board.
2. Before you begin working on your story, fill out the Story Proposal Form to better plan your story. Copy/paste your answers into your own GoogleDoc to help you write this story (once you hit sent, you will lose access to your answers in this form.) You will be required to completely fill out this form before beginning work on your story. It is worth 1o of your 50 points per deadline.
3. Conduct your story interviews. Before interviewing, make sure you have the following:
- consider whether your interviewee is the BEST possible source for quotes on your issue
- write down any questions you have for them; make sure your questions are OPEN-ENDED so you will get the best possible answers
- Have a list of potential follow-up questions
- Make sure you do not pull interviewees out of class longer than 5-10 minutes maximum
- Doe they support your story's focus?
- Are they well articulated so you can use them as direct quotes or will you have to paraphrase?
- Did they answer your question fully and add new points or insights to your story?
- Did they CHANGE the course of your story? If so, adjust your story accordingly.
- 400-500 words
- must contain at least three sources
- Be objective. No "I", "we" or "you" or opinionated language
- Have a clear lead that includes the key point of your story
- Have a clear conclusion
- Use a new paragraph for each quote
- "Format quotes correctly," said Journalism Adviser Ms. Stephanie Floch. "If you quote the same person a second time, later in your story, make sure you refer to them by last name only," Floch said.
- share your story with Ms. Floch, your Editor in Chief, as well as your section editors. Check the Journalism board for the correct addresses.
- Rough Draft Deadline: Friday, December 5 by midnight
Language Objective: I will complete deadlines consisting of stories, photos and graphics.
2. Coordinate photos and illustrations
3. Work on Deadlines
- Deadline: Friday, December 5 by midnight
- Issue 3 Production Week starts Friday, December 5
- Issue 3 Publication date: Wednesday, December 17