Language Objective: I will participate in a jigsaw activity to identify and review the rights of the press and work on my new deadline.
1. Jigsaw: With your group, gather notes and complete your assigned slide on the following section:
Rights of the Press 1A
Rights of the Press 3A
- Privilege (include fair report privilege, opinion privilege, and fair comment and criticism) - p. 140
- Freedom from Newsroom Searches and Shield Laws - p.140
- Open Courtrooms - p. 141
- Open Meetings - p. 141
- Open Records - p. 141
- Stories that can get you jailed p. 143
- Stories that can get you sued p. 143
- Stories that can get you fired p. 143
- Stories that can get you angry phone calls p. 143
On each slide (add another slide if you need more room) answer the following:
- What is your section about?
- What key terms are important to know?
- Why does this matter for high school journalists?
2. Work on current Deadlines
- Today: Rights of the Press slides
- Friday, April 28, 2017: Rough Draft Deadline