Language Objective: I will analyze sources and credibility in Stephen Glass' "Hack Heaven"
1. Read "Hack Heaven" by Stephen Glass
2. After reading, answer these questions:
- What aspects of this article made it interesting to the reader?
- What information given was new or surprising?
- How is this article newsworthy?
3. Highlight any pieces of information the article gives you that are backed up by sources.
Bold and underline the names of any sources used in this article.
4. For each source that you bolded and underlined, highlight the source and write a comment on how you would verify the credibility of that source:
- back in 1998 (keep in mind, Google wasn’t around until September 4, 1998)
- with the tools you have available today
5. How Fake News Goes Viral: A Case Study
- How could this have been prevented?
- Come up with five rules to avoid spreading fake news on social media
6. Choose any current news article to study for this:
- Highlight any claims that need to be substantiated by research/sources
- Fact-check the information given
- Is the article credible?
7. Reflection: What new understandings about Journalism ethics did you gain from this activity? How will you use this in your work?
- Notes on all steps