Content Objective: I can evaluate a story's news value and generate possible story ideas.
Language Objective: I will evaluate the most recent copy of The Warrior Ledger and write two of my own story proposals.
Essential Question: What makes a story newsworthy and which ethical considerations should I consider when writing a news article?
1. Bell work: Spend 5 minutes browsing the news. Read articles and pay attention to what does and doesn't interest you.
After reading, share at least three topics that came up in your research here.
2. Story Ideas and News Values
3. Brainstorm Story Ideas with your group
4. Write two story proposals, containing the following:
- Story Idea
- Summarize idea in six words
- Defend its newsworthiness. Make sure at least two of these news values apply:
- human interest
- Who would you interview? (List 3 primary sources)
5. Journalism Survey
- Warrior Ledger Evaluation Form
- Story Proposals
- Journalism Survey