Language Objective: I will generate a new deadline idea and analyze different sections in the newspaper.
1. Bell Work: Newspaper Sections Jigsaw
Answer the following questions:
- What kinds of topics go into this section?
- How are they written? (Look at structure, fact vs. opinion, amount of research/interviews)
- How can you ensure to cover topics in this section in depth?
- What could we add to or improve in this section?
2. Current Events: For ten minutes, browse local, national, and international news for current events. Write down three possible topics for a deadline. Include how you would make this story new/different and relevant to students at Taylorsville High School.
Copy your ideas to three sticky notes to exchange with others.
Some news outlets to check out:
- The Salt Lake Tribune
- The Deseret News
- The New York Times
- The Washington Post
- The Wall Street Journal
3. Create a new deadline. Make sure your idea is focused and come up with ideas of who to interview.
4. Write down research and interviewing questions and begin research and interviews.
5. Exit Ticket: What are your next steps to complete your deadline? List one thing you will do before next period and three things you will do next period in order to complete your rough draft)
- Upload Bell Work and Current Events to Canvas
- Deadline Rough Draft due: Friday, September 29th by midnight.