1. Bellwork #1: Passive Voice
2. Interviewing Practice using flash cards
3. Interviewing Basics:
- Make sure you are interviewing at least 3 sources per story.
- Make sure your sources have authority about your topic.
- Create a list of questions beforehand.
- Record all of your interviews.
- Ask open-ended questions. Ask follow-up questions as needed.
- Try not to pull students out of class for longer than 5-10 minutes (record times on pink interview slips)
4. Nutgraphs and story structure. Read the nutgraph section on p. 48 and read through the two different story version on p. 49 of Tim Harrower's Inside Reporting.
5. Deadline Requirements:
- Topics must be approved by both your Editor-in-Chief (Leiani) and Ms. Floch
- 400-500 words
- must contain at quotes from at least three sources; make sure your quotes count
- double-check your formatting for quotes
- stories must be written and shared in GoogleDrive, 1o pt. Times font
- coordinate story illustration with a photographer or artist; all stories MUST have at least one illustration
- Share finished stories with firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Begin researching secondary sources and create a list of interview questions for your story in today's GoogleDoc.
7. Advertising Assignment: Each journalism student will contact 5 local businesses and ask if they are interested in advertising with The Warrior Ledger. Take copies of the paper with you to give businesses a better idea about who we are and the quality paper we produce.
Use the 2015/16 Advertising Rate Sheet for pricing.
If a business declines interest, write down the name and contact information (phone number or email address) of the person you spoke to for reference. You don't have to sell a certain amount of advertising, but you have to talk to 5 businesses total.
Your advertising assignment is due on Monday, September 14.
Your GoogleDoc for today should include:
- Bell Work
- Research (links, quotes, etc.)
- Interview questions
Rough Draft of your first story due: Friday, September 4 by midnight. You must both upload your story to CANVAS and share your story with email@example.com
Advertising Assignment due: Monday, September 14
1. Staff Briefing and new deadlines
2. Feedback on previous deadlines
3. Advertising Assignment check-in
4. Work on new deadlines.
Deadline: Friday, September 4, 2015