Language Objective: I will read, annotate, and discuss my comments, connections, and questions on the prologue of Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers.
Essential Question: How do we connect our own social issues to global social issues?
1. Introductions: Hello new humanists!
2. Group Share: What social issues is our society dealing with?
3. Quarter 3 Vocabulary: Define and take notes on the distinction or relationship between the vocabulary terms in this document.
4. Look at the cover image of the text we will be reading an excerpt of:
- Based on this cover image, what do you predict the book, Behind the Beautiful Forevers, might be about?
- Why do you think the author chose to title this book Behind the Beautiful Forevers?
5. Read: Behind the Beautiful Forevers, Prologue: Between Roses
As you are reading…
- Highlight important lines or phrases from the text (change text highlight color)
- Leave comments and connections throughout the text (at least two per page)
- Ask at least one question per page (leave a comment with your question)
- Define (and leave a comment with your definition) of any unknown words (you can do this right in the GoogleDoc)
6. After reading: Discuss
- What stood out to you in your reading?
- Which character did you connect with the most?
- What were your biggest questions during your reading?
- Submit your pre-, during-, and post-reading notes and annotations of Behind the Beautiful Forevers