Language Objective: I will analyze and discuss central ideas and issues in Behind the Beautiful Forevers.
Essential Question: What is complexity and why is it important to keep in mind when looking at social issues?
1. Opener: Complexity in Behind the Beautiful Forevers
Watch it once, then add a comment, answering two of the following questions:
- What are other examples of complexity in Behind the Beautiful Forevers?
- What are some ideologies or assumptions that this book/excerpt challenges?
- What are some shields we (both as individuals and as a society) hide behind?
To sign into VoiceThread:
- Click the +
- Select "sign in", then opt to register instead, since you don't have an account yet (use your GSD address to register)
- Verify your email (you will be sent an email to your Gmail, check your Spam folder, if it's not in your inbox.)
- Sign in and leave one comment (hit "ABC" for typed comments.)
2. Issue Assessment Questions
Make a copy of the document above and answer each question for one issue that comes up in Behind the Beautiful Forevers.
Some issues you could choose from (feel free to pick any others that come to mind):
- The distribution of wealth
- Religious discrimination
- anything else that comes up in Behind the Beautiful Forevers
3. Exit Ticket:
“How do you make sense of a world where luck plays such a huge role in your triumphs and tragedies?”
Discuss via Today’s Meet.
Click on "HumanitiesTHS" to access the "room" created for you. If you need to log in, use your GSD address.
Contribute at least two comments. Feel free to respond to others
- Three comments on VoiceThread video
- Issue Assessment Questions (upload to CANVAS)
- Today's Meet: Luck Discussion