Language Objective: I will analyze and rewrite characterization in a piece of flash fiction.
1. Writing Prompt: Write for 10 minutes.
2. Cold read: "The Voice Imitator" by Thomas Bernhard
Annotate the following:
3. Definitions:Highlight all the other places that are mentioned. What do these places tell us about this character?
- Who is speaking?
- What do you think a Voice Imitator is?
- Why are they inviting him?
- Why is he performing for them?
- What questions do you have to ask to have a basic understanding of what is going on in this piece?
5. Your Reaction and Understanding:
- What is your reaction?
- What questions does this raise?
- Does it provide a complete character introduction? A complete story?
6. What does this piece NOT say about the voice imitator?
7. Questions and Perspectives:
Ask a question about the character of the voice imitator that could clarify who he is.
Gain multiple perspectives of your peers.
Record their answers to your question, but also your answer to their questions to learn more about both their and your interpretation of this character.
8. Draw the voice imitator.
9. What parts of your drawing were based on explicit (direct) characterization? Which were based on implicit characterization?
10. If you could add one aspect to your drawing from someone else's drawing, what would it be? Why?
- Annotations, Notes, and drawing of "The Voice Imitator"