1. Choose one paragraph you want to improve in your Hero's Journey essay.
Model Paragraph to tighten and polish:
In Alice Walker’s "To Hell with Dying," Mr. Sweet was a good companion for the narrator and her siblings. Mr. Sweet always made the narrator feel special. She loved to be around him and was overjoyed whenever he would visit her. Mr. Sweet played with the children just as if he were a child himself. Mr. Sweet also displayed a great deal of respect for the narrator and her family. Even though his alcoholism and lifestyle was a bad influence on the children, his virtues far outweighed his faults. Mr. Sweet had a positive impact on the children that would last their entire lives. He was compassionate, caring, and honest, and the children learned to respect themselves and others from their experiences with Mr. Sweet. He also inspired the children to succeed. Mr. Sweet's lifestyle did not make him an excellent role model for the children, but he was always an excellent companion.
2. Tighten your writing by choosing specific details and strong verbs:
Do this sentence by sentence.
3. Cut any parts where you are repeating yourself or that do not immediately pertain to your story.
4. Find at least three instances where you are too vague. Pick specific details to add to strengthen your writing. Use all five senses (sight, smell, sound, taste, touch) to fully describe details.
5. Resolve all peer review comments.
6. Check your draft through Grammarly and copy/paste it into Hemingway to check its overall clarity.
7. Read your work out loud at least twice. Shorten sentences where you notice yourself stumbling and fix any awkward wording.
8. Check your work for the following criteria (read it once for each):
- Does your essay have a clear beginning, middle and end?
- Did you mention all 12 elements of the Hero's Journey and tie them into your story?
- Did you specifically mention and explain a polarity in your story and how it impacted you?
- Did you finish up with your goals and how you are going to pursue them?
- Is your essay formatted in 12 pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced, with the first line of each paragraph indented, and no extra spaces between paragraphs?
- Does your essay have a creative and engaging title?
- Did you insert page numbers and your last name (add your name before your page numbers) in the top right corner?
- Did you add your name, class, and date in the upper left corner?
9. Check your work through Grammarly again and re-read it one last time.
10. Submit your work on Canvas under "Hero's Journey Final Draft 10/25"
- Go through ALL steps carefully before submitting your Hero's Journey Final Draft