Language Objective: I will analyze the credibility and news value of Stephen Glass' Hack Heaven.
Essential Question: What makes a source credible? What makes a story newsworthy?
1. Read the latest Warrior Ledger for 10 minutes.
After reading, write a letter to the Editor:
- What did you read?
- What resonated with you or stood out to you?
- What worked well?
- What could be improved?
- Future story ideas?
2. Read "Hack Heaven" by Stephen Glass
3. After reading...
- What aspects of this article made it interesting to the reader?
- What information given was new or surprising?
- How does the author incorporate quotes?
- How does he transition between quotes?
4. After discussing...
- Make a copy of the document and share it with all members in your group. You will only need one copy per group.
- Highlight any pieces of information the article gives you.
5. Checking your sources
6. What makes a source credible?
7. What is News?
8. Exit Ticket: What two news values does "Hack Heaven" fulfill? Why?
- Letter to the Editor
- Notes on Hack Heaven
- Group Annotation of "Hack Heaven"
- Exit Ticket