Language Objective: I will analyze Maya Angelou's "Alone" and compare and contrast it with Chris McCandless' character in Into the Wild.
1. Bell Work: Read your Quarter 2 book for 10 minutes.
2. Reading Journal:
Does your book’s story have believable outcomes or do some of them or parts of them not make sense?
3. Daily Dose of Grammar:
Which sentence is correct?
- If you have any questions let me know.
- Let me know if you have any questions.
- If you have any questions, let me know.
4. Take Into the Wild Vocab Quiz on Chapters 1-4. (You will complete this on paper; if you missed this, make an appointment with Ms. Floch to retake the quiz.)
5. Complete Chris McCandless and the Theme of Social Sensitivity worksheet within your group. Add any notes from your group or in-class discussion.
6. Listen to, then read the poem "Alone" by Maya Angelou.
- After reading it, copy/paste the poem into your GoogleDoc. Then, mark each instance where the poem introduces a new thought with a horizontal line. In your GoogleDoc, click on the line that marks the beginning of a change in thought, then click on "Insert", then on "Horizontal Line".
- Briefly summarize what each section is about to the right of the section.
- Share and compare the section you marked off and how you summarized them in your group
- With your group, create a summary of what the poem is about
- How does the poem relate to Into the Wild?
- How do you think Chris McCandless feels about the issue discussed in this poem?
- Re-write this poem from Chris McCandless' PoV
7. Exit Ticket:
How do you think Chris McCandless would have responded to reading Maya Angelou’s “Alone” during his expedition into the Alaska wilderness?
- Reading Journal and Grammar
- Take Vocab Quiz
- Social Sensitivity Assignment
- Maya Angelou "Alone" annotations
- "Alone" re-write