Language Objective: I will compare and contrast informative texts.
1.) Read The Book Thief for 15 minutes. After reading, answer the following questions:
- Summarize the main idea of your reading in one complete sentence.
- List two details that stood out to you in your reading. Cite textual evidence and use complete sentences.
- Make a connection. Compare how something in the text similar to something in your own experience or something you read or watched.
- Contrast how something in the text is different than something in your own experience or something you read or watched.
- List two questions that you had while reading. Make sure they are not answered in the text.
4.) Write for five minutes on the following question: John Green points that "the rich need the poor and need them to stay poor." Do you agree with this statement? Explain.
5.) Read: "Getting unstuck: Why some people get out of poverty and others don't"
6.) The article points out several factors that can determine people's chances to rise out of poverty. Compare how the characters in BTBFs use each of these factors to rise out of poverty. Are there any factors that determine their chances that the article does not mention?
7.) Summary reflection: What do you think are the most important factors that determine a person's chances to get out of poverty? Defend your answer.
Turn in your notes with your Book Thief question, your quick write on John Green's vlog, your poverty article notes and your summary reflection.