Language Objective: I will identify the 5Ws and 1H in my article to write a lead and use the Inverted Pyramid model to outline a news article.
1. Bell Work: Current events:
For 10 minutes, search for and read news articles about the same or a very similar topic that you have chosen to write your news article on. Choose from the following outlets:
- The Salt Lake Tribune
- The Deseret News
- The New York Times
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
- The Huffington Post
- What is the main focus of the article you have read?
- How is your article going to be new or different from the article you just read?
2. Based on your interviews and research, as well as this Lead Writing Presentation, determine the 5Ws and 1H for your article.
3. Bold the most interesting fact of your 5Ws and 1 H. Use this fact to start writing a lead paragraph for your article. You have 5 minutes to write.
4. Next, share your lead with the person to your right. In your GoogleDoc, click on "Share", then type in your right-hand partner's gmail or granitesd address. They have 5 minutes to improve your lead before they, again, share your now improved lead with the person to their right. This person will take another 5 minutes to edit and revise this lead.
5. Use the Inverted Pyramid model to outline your article. In bullet points, start with the most important fact, going down to the least important one. Include quotes in your outline.
6. Upload your GoogleDoc to CANVAS.
Make sure your GoogleDoc includes the following:
- Current Events Response
- 5Ws and 1H
- Lead (+2 revisions)
- Article outline