Language Objective: I will identify and apply the principles of informational video blogging and discuss their effectiveness both verbally and in writing.
1.) Bell Work: Introduction to video blogs (vlogs): Watch John Green's Racism in the United States: By the Numbers
- For 5 minutes, write a response to this vlog, include your opinion on this issue.
Share-out: Have one representative of your group summarize what your group discussed and share it with the class.
2.) John Green talks about how "data is cold". Do you agree with this perspective? What are the advantages and disadvantages of basing an informational text solely on data? What would make data more interesting to an audience?
Discuss this with a partner and write down your findings in your GoogleDoc for today.
3.) Discussion: What makes a vlog effective?
- What are the Vlogbrothers doing well in their vlog?
- What could they improve?
- Based on this, what are components of an effective, engaging vlog?
4. Informational Vlog Assignment
With a partner or groups up to three, decide on an informational video blog topic (you may use any of the topics you covered in your news articles or come up with a new topic).
- length 2-3 minutes
- must be informational
- should be on one of your news article topics
- must contain at least one infographic
- must contain at least three cited sources of information
Your schedule for this assignment is as follows:
- Thursday, March 10/Friday, March 11: Research (information, data, pictures)
- Monday, March 14/Tuesday, March 15: iMovie tutorial, begin producing vlog script
- Wednesday, March 16/Thursday, March 17: Continue producing vlog
- Friday, March 18/Monday, March 21: Finish and upload vlog
- Tuesday, March 22/Wednesday, March 23: View and evaluate vlog
5. Determine your group, your topic, and conduct research for your vlog.
Your research should include pictures as well as information.
6. Make a story map for your vlog (bullet points will work) that shows its beginning, middle, end and your overall approach
7. Exit Ticket: What topic have you and your partner chosen for your vlog? What are three main points you are planning to cover in your vlog?
- Opener responses
- Vlog story map
- Exit Ticket