Language Objective: I will identify and discuss propaganda techniques in advertisements.
1. Bell Work: Current events:
For 10 minutes, read current news on any of the following media outlets:
- The Salt Lake Tribune
- The Deseret News
- The New York Times
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
- The Huffington Post
1. What about what you read was new and interesting?
2. Where were the reporters biased in any way, meaning, where did they show their own opinion on the issue in the way they covered them?
2. Propaganda Techniques Handout
3. Propaganda Techniques Assignment: With your group and using the Propaganda Techniques Handout, look at each advertisement given to you (we will be using paper for this!) and determine which type of propaganda technique is used in each assignments. In your GoogleDoc for this period, write the number for the advertisement and the propaganda technique used.
4. Choose two of the propaganda strategies from your handout and find one article that contains an example of a propaganda strategy in its writing or reporting. Identify where/how it is used and propose a way this strategy could have been avoided.
- Current Events response
- Propaganda Techniques Assignment
- Two examples in media