Language Objective: I will write a vignette essay about my name.
1. Write for five minutes about each of the following questions:
- Who does society tell you to be? (Think of anything people told you to do/not to do, stereotypes etc.)
- Who are you really?
- Who do you want to be? (Not just "when you grow up" but in life)
2. Read Sara Cisneros' "My Name"
3. Discuss the following questions in your group:
- How does the main character feel about her name?
- What does she know about the origin of her name?
- How is this important to her?
- Why does she want to rename herself?
- Make one connection between yourself, the world or another text and the text you just read.
4. For 20 minutes, write your own vignette about your name. Be sure to write about all parts of your name and in as much detail as possible.
5. Share your writing in your group and add a connection to each of your group member's pieces.
6. Name Bingo
Make sure all of these pieces are all in the same Google Doc and submit them on Canvas:
- 3 Questions
- My Name
- Name Bingo