Language Objective: I will watch and read "The Tale of the Three Brothers" and will compare and contrast it and its themes to "The Pardoner's Tale" by creating a Venn diagram.
1.) Open a new GoogleDoc and title it with your full name, period and today's date.
Read The Book Thief for 15 minutes. After reading, answer the following questions:
- Summarize the main idea of your reading in one complete sentence.
- List two details that stood out to you in your reading. Cite textual evidence and use complete sentences.
- Make a connection. Compare how something in the text similar to something in your own experience or something you read or watched.
- Contrast how something in the text is different than something in your own experience or something you read or watched.
- List two questions that you had while reading. Make sure they are not answered in the text.
- 4A with: sfloch+4A@granitesd.org
- 1B with: sfloch+1B@granitesd.org
- 3B with: sfloch+3B@granitesd.org
- 4B with: sfloch+4B@granitesd.org
2.) Review: What are the two most important themes in "The Pardoner's Tale" and how do they develop throughout the text? (We will highlight/underline relevant textual evidence together.)
3.) Watch "The Tale of the Three Brothers". In your group, create a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting "The Tale of the Three Brothers" with "The Pardoner's Tale". Also read "The Tale of the Three Brothers" and "Dumbledore's Commentary" to have textual evidence and additional information to use in your Venn Diagram.
4.) Within your Venn diagram, also compare and contrast themes in both "The Pardoner's Tale" and "The Tale of the Three Brothers". Find textual evidence to support your comparisons and contrasts.
5.) Below your Venn diagram, answer the following question: Why do you think that "cheating death" tales such as the two we just read appear in so many different cultures and time periods?
6.) Share your Venn diagram document with Ms. Floch. Make sure you use the right email to share this (see email list above).