Language Objective: I will collaborate within my group creating a "Wilderness Survival Guide", constructing arguments for and against 15 items that would be helpful to take into a wilderness expedition and I will read and take Focus Notes on John Krakauer's "Death of an Innocent: Chris McCandless" as an introduction to Into the Wild.
1. Bell Work: Read your chosen quarter 2 book for 15 minutes.
2. After reading, write for five minutes on the following:
- Who is the protagonist (if your novel is fiction) or what is the main issue (if your novel is nonfiction) of your novel? How are they first introduced?
- Is this introduction a captivating one? Why? Why not?
- Between us, we will find the buried treasure.
- Between we, we will find the buried treasure.
- Between you and I, we will find the buried treasure.
- Between you and me, we will find the buried treasure.
3. As an introduction to Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild, which we will be reading this quarter, complete the following "Wilderness Survival Guide" in the same Doc as your reading journal:
Your group has decided to camp out in a remote mountain climate for 30 days.
Where are you going? Why?
You can only take what you can carry. List fifteen items that you will take and give a justification as to why you have chosen each item. List them in order of importance.
You have 15 minutes to complete this task.
We will share your lists of items with the rest of the class once your time is up.
4. In your GoogleDrive, hit "Create" > "Folder" and name this folder "[Your Full Name] Into the Wild". You will need to collect ALL pieces of writing (including your daily work) that we will be doing on Into the Wild in this folder. To move things into this folder, either drag and drop your items into this folder or click on "File" > "Move to" and then select the right folder. It is important that you keep all of your work on Into the Wild in the same place so you can use it for your final argument paper on the novel.
5. Click on "Focus Notes Template" and copy/paste it into your Doc (you have to copy/paste this in order to use it).
6. Begin reading Jon Krakauer's "Death of an Innocent: Chris Mc Candless" and take Focus Notes on the content as well as the characters in the article, including textual evidence, questions and anything else that stands out to you in your reading. Make sure you get at least halfway through the article within this period.
7. Exit Ticket (include the answer on your Doc for today):
In 2-3 sentences, summarize how Jon Krakauer describes the character of Chris McCandless in “Death of an Innocent”.
Your Doc needs to contain: