1. Opener: Read the latest issue of The Warrior Ledger.
After reading, write down the following:
- 3 things you liked (be specific)
- 2 things that could be improved (again, be specific and offer up ideas)
- 1 thing that you are interested in doing in your worn informative writing
2. Journalism Vocabulary
3. What is news?
4. How do you check the credibility of a news article and its sources?
5. Participate in the News Article Evaluation CANVAS discussion and post analyzing the following for a news article of your choice (must be current, from a major news source):
- Why did you choose this article?
- What is new and/or interesting about this article?
- Why is it newsworthy (Defend this based on the "What is News?" presentation pointing out which news values apply.)
- How is this article structured?
- What sources does the author use?
- Check credibility for each source used. Back up your credibility check by pointed out how you checked the source (you can do this in form of a list)
- Overall, evaluate your article's credibility based on the fact check you conducted.
6. After posting, reply to the posts of two other classmates, pointing out one thing you have learned from them and one question you still have after reading the analysis of their article.
- 3-2-1 and Journalism Vocab (submit in one Doc to CANVAS)
- CANVAS discussion: News Article Analysis