Language Objective: Students will be able to discuss and analyze print ads.
1.) Read The Book Thief for 15 minutes.
2.) After reading, answer the following questions:
- Summarize what you have read in one sentence.
- How does Zusak develop the theme of death in The Book Thief? List at least two examples in your response.
- Choose the correct answer:
b) I hardly ever buy DVD's anymore.
3.) Remember to submit your Portfolio URL by filling out this form.
4.) Watch the Audio Commercial "Spock vs. Spock" and list some of the techniques this ad uses to "sell" their product.
5.) Propaganda/Advertising Technique Handout
6.) Group activity (in-class only): Match print ads to their advertising technique.
7.) In the next two class periods you and a partner (groups up to 3 students) will choose and analyze your own commercial.
8.) Exit Slip (turn in with bell work):
- Infomercials that say “Call now to receive this one-of-a-kind special offer!” are an example of what advertising technique?
a) Appeal to Authorities
b) Time Crunch
- List an example of an ad that uses testimonials.
- Remember to submit your ePortfolio (see form linked above)
- Bell Work questions
- Exit Slip