Language Objective: Students will read and discuss "Just Another Soldier" and apply its sequencing structure in their own personal narratives.
- Bell Work: Read for 15 minutes, then answer the following questions here.
- Discuss "Just Another Soldier" main ideas (your text should be annotated with one main idea per paragraph)
- Go over Sequencing Handout; we will mostly focus on chronological sequence for your personal narrative.
- Highlight/underline any sequencing signal words (see handout) used in "Just Another Soldier"
- Discuss overall structure of "Just Another Soldier"
- Use the same kind of structure and sequencing to chronologically outline your personal narrative:
- Determine the main events in your narrative.
- Outline these events chronologically.
- List some of the applicable sequencing signal words and sentence frames under each main event to help you link them.
- Add at least two significant details that your reader has to know about or that help you explain the situation better to each of your events.
Turn in your bell work and exit slip
Keep your "Just Another Soldier" text and the outline for your narrative since we will continue working on it next time in class.