1. Read I Am Malala Chapter 9 "Radio Mullah" (p. 111-122)
Reading Journal: After reading this chapter, do the following:
- Make one connection and talk about why you connected to this. (Include textual evidence)
- List one important detail (include textual evidence) and explain how it is important for this chapter.
- Ask one question and explain why this question is important for your understanding of this chapter.
2. Check your claim in your letter to yoru representative. Make sure to follows these guidelines:
- Claims are statements, not questions
- Your claim should be specific and show your knowledge of the subject matter
- Your claim should answer the following questions:
- Who do you want to do something?
- What do you want them to do?
- When do you want them to do it?
- Where do you want them to do it?
- Example: I am writing you (who) to vote no on the upcoming tax bill (what) on Friday, December 1 (when) at Congress (where).
- Your claim should go against the status quo (current beliefs, policies, rules, behavior or institutions) to create controversy
- An effective claim should promote a pro/con argument
- Try to sum up your claim in one sentence; use no more than 25-30 words.
3. Example Claims:
Note whether these claims are effective or not. List everything that is going wrong/well with the claims below:
1. I am writing to urge you to pass measures to end poverty across the United States.
2. I urge you to vote yes on the upcoming bill to levy a bond to increase property taxes to benefit school improvement.
3. You should impeach Trump.
4. How to cite sources in your letter: Check and highlight sources used in the latest issue of The Warrior Ledger.
5. Finish the rough draft of your letter to your representative.
6. Exit Ticket: Comment on the following areas in your letter:
- Highlight one area that you feel is the most effective in your letter. Comment with what specifically is effective and going well.
- Highlight and comment on two areas that you need to improve. List some ways to improve this.
- Reading Journal
- Claim Examples
- Highlights of Sources in The Warrior Ledger (take a picture of sources you highlighted and insert them into your document)
- Finished draft of your letter
- Exit Ticket