Welcome back from Spring Break and onward to 4th quarter, everyone!
Language Objective: Students will write satirical "10 Step Guides".
1.) Bell Work: Independent Reading (you will need to bring your own book or check one out from the library).
2.) Reading Journal Questions:
- Briefly summarize what you read.
- Cite two pieces of textual evidence that stood out to you in your reading. Why were they interesting?
- What made you decide on the book you are reading? What about it stood out/seemed interesting to you and why?
4.) This quarter, we will be delving into informational writing, meaning it is usually based on research and meant to inform or explain. The following project will serve as an introduction to informational writing.
5.) Read Rick Reilly's "Weighed Down By Too Much Cash?" and my draft of "Congrats, newly minted teacher!" as examples for what your 10 Step Guide should look like. Note that both of them are using satire, meaning, they are telling you exactly how NOT to deal with money or how NOT to be a teacher.
6.) Using these two examples as a model, write your own "10 Step Guide". You may choose from the following options or pick your own topic (please clear with me first):
Congrats, newly minted...
- fast-food worker
- high school student
- Bell Work: Reading Journal Questions
- Book Sign-Up
- "10 Step Guide", finish on April 9/April 10