Language Objective: I will write, edit, and revise my flash fiction story, include sensory details, and condense it to exactly 300 words.
Revise your flash fiction piece. Follow these steps:
1. Tighten and simplify your writing. Here are some examples to make your writing stronger.
2. Condense your word count to make sure you can fit everything into 300 words:
First, go through and delete all unnecessary adverbs and adjectives.
Then, make sure you are not talking about anything that does not directly pertain to your story.
- Does your story still make sense?
- Does your story have explicit as well as implicit meaning?
3. Go through your story and make sure that every word you used is necessary. Shorten anything that could be tightened.
4. Follow these three steps to amplify your significant details
- Highlight the three most important details in your story.
- What is the explicit significance of these details? What’s their implicit significance?
- Describe your significant details as vividly as possible. Try to use your 5 senses to come up with unique descriptions that aren’t cliche.
5. How can you make things stronger, worse or unexpected? (Double-check this step from last time.)
6. Are there any cliches in your story? Either change them or twist them to make them more original.
7. Share your work with a partner. Use GoogleDrive to provide feedback to each other. Make sure your feedback answers the following questions:
- What is something you really liked?
- What confused you?
- What do you want to see more of?
8. Use your partner's feedback to revise your story.
9. Proofread your story twice. Run it through Grammarly to check for spelling and grammatical errors.
- What are the strengths of your story?
- What do you feel you still need to improve in your story?
- What about the writing process of this story came to you easily?
- What did you struggle with? How did you overcome this struggle?
- What did you learn from writing your flash fiction piece?
- What would you change next time?
Format your story as following:
- Give your story a title (this will not count towards your 300 words); center your title
- Below the title, center your full name
- Format the entire story in 12 point Times New Roman, single-spaced
- Title your reflection and add it below your flash fiction piece
- Upload final draft of your flash fiction piece and reflection to CANVAS