Language Objective: I will read and compare the introduction to The Princess Bride to the opening of the movie and identify and discuss the author's purpose using this frame story to introduce his work.
1. Bell Work: Read your Quarter 4 book for 15 minutes.
2. Reading Journal:
Free Write. Write for 5 minutes about anything that stands out to you in your reading. Cite textual evidence to support your claims.
3. Daily Dose of Grammar:
Which sentence is correct?
- Go to this register with 10 or less items.
- Go to this register with 10 or fewer items.
4. Watch: Introduction to The Princess Bride movie
5. Reading Assignment (you will be assigned a group for this; we will be reading on the Kindles):
- Group 1: Loc. 71 (end of thank-you note)
- Group 2: Loc. 143 “Everything else was mine.”
- Group 3: Loc. 215 “I like them that way.”
- Group 4: Loc. 278 “Sandy really upset now.”
- Group 5: Loc. 370 “‘I’m not eatin’ and that’s it,” Jason said then.
- Group 6: Loc. 454 “What you do with it would be of more than passing interest to us all.”
Present your sections to the rest of the class who hasn’t read what you did. You will need to listen to all groups to make sense out of what you read.
Include the following:
- Summarize the section you read.
- Who are the characters introduced and what is said about them?
- What stood out the most to you in this section?
- What questions did you have in your reading?
6. Class Discussion:
Do you prefer the introduction to the book or the introduction to the movie? Why?
7. Discuss and write for 10 minutes on the following questions:
- What Goldman’s purpose in rewriting The Princess Bride?
- What is the purpose of this introduction chapter about the author?
- At the end of the chapter, Goldman writes, ““What you do with it would be of more than passing interest to us all.” What do you think he means by this? What do you think he wants readers to do with this book?
8. Exit Ticket: In the introduction, Goldman states that there is no true love and adventure anymore. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Write for 5 minutes.
- Reading Journal and Daily Dose of Grammar
- Reading Section presentation
- Discussion prompts
- Exit Ticket