Language Objective: I will write a rough draft of a 300-word flash fiction story using my outline and vocabulary prompts.
1. Bell Work: Read your chosen Quarter 4 Books for 15 minutes.
2. Reading Journal: What is your book about explicitly and what is it about implicitly?
4. Review: What is flash fiction? (Vocab)
5. Review Brady Dennis 300-Word Stories.
6. Your group will be given one of the following vocabulary prompts. Your job is to come up with a definition that you will write on a sticky note and present to the rest of the class. We will create a prompt wall on the board. Your challenge is to incorporate at least two of these prompts in your flash fiction story:
- rite of passage
7. Think-Pair-Share: Using your Flash Fiction Outline Guide from last period, share with a partner what your story is going to be about and one thing that you are still stuck with. Have your partner help get you "un-stuck".
8. You have half an hour to rough-draft your flash fiction story. Focus on telling your story rather than on your total word count. We will fix that later.
9. You have 10 minutes to share your story with a partner and get their feedback on the three following questions:
- What is something you really liked?
- What confused you?
- What do you want to see more of?
10. Exit Ticket: As you were rough drafting, what came to you easily and what did you struggle with? How are you planning to revise your story to improve it? Which of the vocabulary prompts did you use in your rough draft? Could you use more of them?
Write for 5 minutes.
- Reading Journal
- Rough Draft
- Rough Draft Feedback to at least one student
- Exit Ticket