Language Objective: I will analyze the overall individual and collective significance of the issue of cell phone use in the classroom and an issue of my choosing.
Essential Question: How do you assess the overall importance and individual as well as collective significance of an issue?
1. Use one of the following news outlets to read up on current events:
- The Salt Lake Tribune
- The Deseret News
- The New York Times
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
- The Huffington Post
Write a one-paragraph response including the following questions:
- What are three issues that are mentioned in current news?
- What makes these issues newsworthy?
- Why do/should we care?
- Was there any bias in the article(s) you read?
2. Issue Assessment Questions:
The above questions help you assess the overall importance, individual and collective significance of an issue.
Copy/paste this document into the same document as your current events notes and with your group, answer the questions in it on the issue of cell phone usage in the classroom.
3. Now, pick a current events issue and answer each question in the document for your issue of your choosing.
- Current Events Questions
- Issue Assessment (for the use of cell phones in the classroom and start on your own issue)