Language Objective: I will write descriptive passages about settings, identify elements of voice, and apply them in my own writing.
1. Writing Prompt: Describe one of the following settings in as much sensory detail as possible:
Write for 10 minutes.
3. Go back and choose another image. Again, write for 10 minutes. This time, try to use the sense you used the least during the last round as much as possible in this one.
- Which one did you like better? Why?
- What is something you need to work on when it comes to writing description?
4. What is "Voice" and why is it important?
5. Listen to the following clips and take down notes about what kind of character you think each main character is based on what you hear.
6. What are important considerations when it comes to voice?
List 3 dos and 3 don'ts on sticky notes.
7. Who is something in your life who has a very distinctive voice? What do they sound like? What are some of their verbal ticks?
For 10 minutes, write a scene of them interacting with someone they know very well. Pay special attention to what kind of voice they are talking with.
- Setting 1 and 2 (include highlights)
- Notes on Voice
- Voice exercise